(This would be the content of 5 Safety Tips)
Spring is here!
As the weather continues to get warmer, and the days get longer, people are staying outside much later. While walking alone at night can be scary for anyone, statistics tell us that women are especially vulnerable to unexpected, late night attacks.
Here are a few safety tips for women to avoid becoming a victim:
- Avoid Wearing Headphones. We all love listening to music and podcasts while we walk, but when you are alone at night, it is especially important to be aware of your surrounding. Your ears are a very important piece of sensing danger. The less audible distractions you have while walking alone at night, the better.
- Keep Street Encounters Short. There is nothing wrong with being polite to people, but be weary of any stranger who approaches you. They might ask for directions, cash or to use your cell phone. Answer briefly and then keep walking. If they continue, tell them that you are not able to help and that a law enforcement officer would be a better person to provide assistance.
- Carry a Whistle. Many women already do this, but whistles are a great way to alert people in your immediate surroundings that you are in danger. If you keep your whistle on your keys, be sure to keep your keys in your hand and not at the bottom of your purse.
- Wear Running Shoes. While a woman’s choice of clothing should NEVER be used as an excuse for an attack, heels are not always the easiest shoes to run in. If you wear heels to work, you may want to consider bringing an extra pair of comfortable shoes with you to walk in at night. There is nothing scarier than the thought of having to run from an attacker in high heels.
- Take Basic Self Defense. You don’t have to spend lots of money to take a basic self defense class! Many martial arts studios offer very affordable self defense classes for both men and women. The more prepared you are to defend yourself, the more confident you will feel. The MyGuard App not only seeks out registered sex offenders, but it also contains an easy access alarm system that notifies pre programmed contacts in seconds. Contact us today for more information!